Chicago River Eco-Warriors (CREW)
The Chicago River Eco-Warriors (CREW) are amazing friends who volunteer to improve and protect the Chicago River system in many different ways.
Looking to volunteer?
Sign up to be part of the CREW here.
You'll receive our monthly volunteer newsletter with upcoming events and volunteer opportunities, links to resources and more.
There are many different ways the CREW helps the people, plants and animals of the Chicago River system.
Here are a few ideas:
- Tackle our litter problem and work to create a Litter Free Chicago River by:
- Volunteering at our annual spring cleanup Chicago River Day
- Planning a Litter Free Chicago River volunteer cleanup - check out the Toolkit (or a similar toolkit in Spanish from American Rivers) that shows you how, and borrow materials from our Litter Free Supply Stations.
- Call in overflowing Chicago Park District trash cans to (312) 742-7529.
- Report floating litter in the City of Chicago by calling 311.
- Improve and restore critical habitat in our beautiful Forest Preserves.
- Help us track wildlife, especially our focus species, osprey, bats, and turtles, as a wildlife monitor.
- Reduce pollution running into the river by creating a rain garden, installing a rain barrel, and planting native plants.
- Reduce combined sewer overflows by conserving water on Overflow Action Days.
- Learn about river ecology and the ways we've improved the watershed by diving into the River Reporter archive.
- Share information about Friends at events. We've made a Volunteer Information packet just for you.
- Become a Canoe Guide.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. It really helps when you like and share our posts.
- Look into the Professional Resource Council or Planning Committee to share professional experience
- Request a field trip or presentation for your child's class from the Chicago River Schools Network.
- Help with special events, like Student Congress, the Big Fish Ball, and the Summer Cruise.
- Plan a volunteer day for your company on a River Action Day (RAD).
- Volunteer at the McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum.
- Don't forget to become a member! Memberships are available at many different levels.
Questions? Email Annette Anderson or call her at (312) 939-0490, ext. 14.